Thursday, October 28, 2010

Contest won, glow-in-the-dark ABS on the way!

A few designs in the previous blog posting were submitted to the Makerbot halloween contest. This week the result was published and the bat mobile design was one of the winners! Makerbot actually choose 2 winners, the other winning design was this great spiderweb.

The price for the contest is a roll of glow-in-the-dark ABS plastic from the makerbot store which is on the way to Finland now.
The Bat mobile will definitely be printed again in this new ABS and I'll post some pictures of the bat mobile with the lights off.

For now just a fresh picture of one of the bats with the lights on:



The bat was created using tricks described in the wiki of EvilMadScientist here, originally intended for the eggbot. One final step in the creation process is the conversion of an SVG file of the source image into gcode. For this I wrote a little script which I had intended to document later. A newer version of skeinforge however apparently has now a built-in way to import SVG files and create gcode from that so I won't be working on the script anymore (I have not tried the new version yet). Of course if someone is interested let me know and I'll share what I have.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! The bats are very cool!

    Nick
    http://reprapbreeding.blogspot.com/2010/10/makerbot-halloween-contest-winning.html

    ReplyDelete